Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What is this city coming to?

Coming back from rehearsal tonight (well, after I visited a beautiful young lady after rehearsal), I read an article that completely floored me - in a negative way. Jordan Manners' mom just avoided 7 gunshots the other day. To remind you, her son was killed in a high school near the Jane-Finch area. This mother has become a spokesperson for anti-violence, and has paradoxically been subjected to more violence since. Most recently, her daughters just avoided 7 gunshots from 2 men who tried to kill them because they/she rejected love advances.

Are you kidding me??

This is the kind of world we live in now? Where women have to FEAR THEIR LIVES if they aren't interested in every man that is attracted to them? Perhaps I'm sensitive to this because of a great girl I've been hanging out with lately, but the thought of a woman having to endure the possibility of death because she rejects unwanted sexual attention disgusts me as a man, a human being and a citizen of the earth.

Discussing the realities for youth today in this project gets so much scarier when I read newspaper stories like this. There is an URGENT need for our project to live, and I for one want to see these stupid, cowardly acts of violence end. One of these guys was basically my age too (31). I was so disgusted and disturbed by that news that I have changed my original blog idea to this rant.

What kind of world are we living in when people have to die at school? What kind of life do we have when every cat-calling male pig is a potential murderer? What kind of future can we raise our children in when teenage violent death becomes so pervasive people consider it cliche?

I do not want to live in this world, but truthfully, I'm not sure if it can be changed...

Bobman

No comments: