Monday, July 28, 2008

The Experience

Characters

This workshop was definitely an emotional roller coaster for me. I had no idea that I would have been able to open up so much and become ‘moderately’ vulnerable. I also noticed that the more relaxed I felt while doing improv, the more I could just ‘be’. Going into this process I was a bit shy, so I find it very ironic that my character’s name is Shyla (or “Shy” for short).
Shyla became a part of me as I began to explore her emotions, decision making process, and relationships. Shyla struggles with the internal conflict of good vs. evil. She tries very hard to make the right decisions because she has a dream in life that she wants to achieve. Her bad side is displayed when she is with her best friends’ Kimberly and Martina; nevertheless, Shyla still is the conscience of the group. They have a very dynamic clique and I believe the conflicts the clique has with other characters, and within itself will be very attention-grabbing. I also believe that Ben may be the one to help the clique when they are in trouble.
Vusani brought out the indecisiveness within Shyla because he caught her off guard by being very blunt. However, he just might be able to bring out Shyla’s more promiscuous side as she desires to be more like her friends. If the relationship between Giselle and Vusani develops, tension may mount up as his ‘player –like’ qualities are revealed.
Shyla and Adam have a remarkably strong sibling relationship. Although they do get into disagreements, it is mostly out of love. I see the potential for Adam to get into a lot of trouble defending Shyla. In addition, the true bravery and strength of Shyla’s character may end up surprising a lot of people.

Overall the story is beginning to come together and I cannot wait to see how it all plays out!

No comments: