Monday, July 28, 2008

My name is Kimberly, and I'm a fighter.

This is just the beginning (a very exciting beginning) and just by being given a name i feel like Kimberly has sprung to life. In the short few hours that we spent together yesterday doing exercises, I have already fallen in love with her. Fallen in love is the perfect phrase because all I feel to do is protect her, see her prosper and find her happiness. There is so much complexity to her. She is conflicted and sensitive and feeds on her pain. What struck me almost immediately when discussing our feelings about our assigned words was how drawn I was to the word "victim", while my word was "fighter". Then I realized that victim and fighter do not exist independently for the fighter is indeed a fighter because of their fear of becoming victim. And the victim always craves to be the fighter.

Throughout the improv I have also fallen in love with Kimberly's friends Shyla and Martina and understand the urgency for them to stick together. They create a triangle of balance between fighter (me), victim (Martina) and reason (Shyla). And
interestingly enough, Gena hit the nail on the head when she said that the individuals in our clique were weak on their own. This is something I believe all three of us felt.

I also felt the tension between Kimberly and her sister, Giselle. I have to say it was easy to hate and use her, because her vulnerability was so potent and apparent, and consequently irresistible to me as such an insecure character. Kimberly, well I, will have to learn to love her, and I think that this is a conflict that can be paralleled within the story.

The whole process of the workshop was definitely an emotional roller coaster for me and there really wasn't much "acting" happening on my part. Though I know opening up yourself to all possible feelings is said to be the objective in this setting, I must admit that parts of yesterday's workshop were completely embarrassing to me. I've always wished to have more control over my composure because I don't like feeling or appearing vulnerable. So I want to thank everyone for being totally supportive and hopefully this is something I will be able to work on throughout our meetings. And Bobby, no more of those exercises OK!! Lol, just kidding :). Overall, this was an extremely insightful and productive workshop. Coodos everyone.

1 comment:

Bobman said...

This is a really well-written blog entry. You constantly surprise me with your intelligence... :)

As for vulnerability, my dear, it is a necessary part of art. No one can 'make' anyone feel anything, but emotions can and do present themselves inconveniently. For me, the actor must come to terms with all emotions living and breathing inside each of us, then control them...

This process has just started. Next, I'm working on the boys... ;)